Welcome to My Blog!

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I will be writing mostly about rubberstamping and paper crafts. I will also be adding a few fun stories from work.

I work at a doctors office. Our patients say and do some of the cutest and funniest things. All my stories are good intentioned, never to actually harm or make fun of my patients or their conditions. I am the first person to make fun of myself and share the silly and sometimes stupid things I do.

Sunday, January 2, 2011

New Years Day.

My first day of the new year was quite eventful.  I was able to get half my craft room cleaned last night.  There actually is a floor now and a table.  I was a bit tired yesterday so I was not able to get as much done as I wanted.  But I was not worried because It was only Friday, I had all day today to get it organized...or so I thought.

I live in an apartment complex with 6 buildings.  The high today I believe, was 36 maybe 37 degrees.  I slept in a bit, got on my computer had a cup of coffee and then it happened. 

The buildings' fire alarm sounded.  Brad, my husband, and myself looked at each other in surprise for about 5 seconds, then realized what that sound was!  We both jumped up.  I was in my PJ's, I jammed my feet into my shoes, grabbed my coat and ran outside. 

Yes it was our building's alarm making the noise.  This is not the first time this has happened.  So I ran to the next set of apartments to see what was going on.  There was no flames or smoke.  Perplexed, a group of us gathered as 911 was called.  911 received many, many calls, When my husband called the 911, he was told all the callers gave the name of the complex but not the address.  He of coarse, gave them the address.  The reason 911 received so many call is because ALL 6 buildings had their alarms sounding.  This was not looking good.  I had never heard all of the buildings alarms going off at the same time.

Still there was no smoke or flames.  Well we soon learned why.  Building E (not our building) had broken water pipes.  Water was draining down from the 3rd floor to the first.  Six apartments had cold water flowing through them.

After about 30-40 minutes, Brad and I went inside.  The firefighters had arrived about 15 minutes after receiving calls.

Firefighters were going door to door at each building checking for fire or more broken pipes. The alarms sounded for about another 30-40 minutes, then stopped.  It was nice and quite. The cat had stopped freaking out.

Yes it was nice for about an hour, then all the alarms started again.  Thankfully I had put on some jeans, because the building across from ours now had a leak.  So 4 more apartments had water draining though them.  We helped one of our neighbors move her furniture around, turned off the electricity, covered electronics with plastic and emptied the bowl and buckets of water. 

That took another hour.  Our building had the same kind of leak 2 years ago just before Christmas.  Our apartment was not involved then either.  I am hoping our luck is not running out.

So at the end of the day, the craft room did not get any cleaner. 

Well... there is always tomorrow to get it done.  What a crazy New Years Day

No comments:

Post a Comment